Monday, March 23, 2009

The first-

The very first spoken word I ever wrote- I think I was 18. I liked that girl a lot.


You have come and You are returning
i hear Your voice and my heart is burning
beating and yearning,
screaming and churning
for something more than me
more than what i touch and see
what fades and crumbles and
ceases to be
i need Truth
i need Reality
i need the love of a God who came for me
who came and died to save, take me, break me
of my sin, my iniquity
my three nails that held you to that tree
is everything i think should keep you from me
when all the while and even now
You are patiently, furiously, in love with me

despite my tendency to act the pharisee
looking righteous and holy
self absorbed and relying only
on my power, my plans
my future, my demands
holding my selfish world in these clumsy hands
when i reject Your grace and take back my chains
my yoke of slavery
of impatience, lust and spiritual apathy
because my sinful nature is contrary
to the blessed Savior that leads me
out of my self imposed captivity
when all the while and even now
You are patiently, furiously, in love with me

in moments of darkness
when my pride is shattered
and i don't know how I could ever serve
a God so holy
You burn in me, reminding me

Jacob was a liar
Moses had a stutter
Leah was uglier
Ruth was a foreigner
Sampson was a luster
David an adulterer
Jeremiah was a whiner
Paul a killer
and Unfailing Love Itself
was born in a manger
and hung like a murderer

in moments of darkness
when my pride is shattered
and i don't know how i could be anything
to a God so holy
You burn in me
reminding me

even though it was my three nails
that held you to that tree
even though it was my punishment
carved into Your body
through You my salvation is sealed
by Your wounds i am healed

when all the while and even now
when all the while and even now
when all the while and for all eternity
You are patiently,
You are furiously
You are in love with me

No comments:

Post a Comment